In 1958, in the midst of the Cold War with the Soviet Union, a group of Fort Worth civic leaders, headed by Frank Kent, and including Fred Korth, Ed Parker, Earle Parker and Hank Green, decided that a formalized organization was needed to establish a connection with and provide community support for Carswell AFB and the U.S. Air Force. These FWAPC “founding fathers” prepared a mission statement and sent it to Washington D.C. The Air Force Chief of Staff at that time, General Curtis LeMay, approved the organization and traveled to Fort Worth to deliver the charter, marking the formation of the Fort Worth Air Power Council. Two of the original charter members remain active in the organization.
The FWAPC has always enjoyed a close relationship with Carswell and now with the NASJRB. The men and women and their families who serve, are with pride and respect, referred to as our “troops.” As a result of the dynamics of rotations, assignment to distant bases and theaters of war, we enjoy military friendships all over the world. The FWAPC welcomes the opportunity to help support the needs of our distant friends as well as those of our Fort Worth military family.
Several years ago, the Fort Worth Airpower Foundation, a recognized IRS 501 (c) (3) charitable organization, was organized by several leaders of the Airpower Council. The purpose of the Foundation is to provide a charitable organization through which area businesses and individuals can make tax-deductible donations in support of our military leaders, troops and their families. Although focused on supporting the troops and units based at NASJRB “Carswell,” donations from the Foundation have reached as far away as Fallon NAS Nevada.